I wanted to pay tribute to Muhammad Ali. We’ve yet again lost another of the great ones. Muhammad Ali was actually born Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr., January 17th, 1942 in Louisville, Kentucky. He began training at the tender age of 12. His coach was Mr. Joe Martin, a police officer who decided he’d teach him a thing or two after young Ali, still going by Cassius at the time, swore that he’d pound to the ground the foul who stole his bike.
He was definitely a very talented youngin who won his first match six months later. But he wasn’t just talented, he was also driven. He went on to blow people away with his skill and charisma. In 1964 he went on to change his name to Muhammad Ali after becoming Muslim. His new found beliefs made him a bit of a rebel in the eyes of some especially the military who took away his titles because he refused to go to war. He was not just some ”meathead” boxer, he had strong convictions and wasn’t afraid to stand behind them.
He went on to earn countless accolades and was very outspoken in the process. Here are some of my favourite Ali quotes :
- “Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee” – Definitely the quote that Muhammad Ali is best known for.
- “I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was” – Such confidence! The secret is seeing the things that are not as if they already were. He had this down pat. His Faith in himself and his abilities was strong.
- “The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life” – Such wisdom!
- “It isn’t the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it’s the pebble in your shoe” – Just goes to show that the obstacles out in front of you aren’t the problem. The problem is within. Kinda reminds me of the Great Bruce Lee’s famous saying “Become like water my friend”. What I get from that is that you must be adaptable to your external conditions and circumstances. Master yourself and you’ll master anything else.
- “It’s just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up” – I love how he just saws this like it’s so matter of fact. As other forces in nature, I just happen to be put here to beat the crap out of people. Man! This quote just cracks me up.
Muhammad Ali was more than just a world class boxer, he was and entertainer. He was political. He was a poet. He was a comedian. He was a sage. He was charismatic. He was the Greatest!
Check out this cool self-titled site I came across with more information on his life.